Having an email list is great, but you’ve worked hard to get those subscribers, so isn’t it a good idea to do your best to keep them? Here’s a few tips that might just help them to decide NOT to reach for that unsubscribe link.
1. Not every email has to be selling something. Give those poor people a rest! I Know the thinking is sell until they won’t buy any more, but to me (and many others) there’s nothing worse than a ‘buy this now’ link with no reasoning attached. Which leads straight into…
2. Put a bit of a story as to why this ‘latest and greatest’ offer is the greatest. Gimme a reason to visit the sales page. If it’s a squeeze page, tell me in advance why I should sign up. Many squeeze pages are sparse on information and I’m a tight git when it comes to handing over my email, so I want to to know why you think this will be worth my time. WIIFM!
3. To me, nothing says ‘I am a seller’ (as opposed to being a marketer) than firstname.lastname@example.org at the top of the email. If you have a website create an email from your domain. You can get to it from the email client on your desktop computer so you don’t have to log in via your CPanel so you don’t need any special equipment to receive (or send) emails from your own domain.
4. Sign off with your full name. There are millions of ‘Steven’ out there but there are far fewer ‘Steven Lucas’ (I know, I’ve searched) so do what you can to make yourself memorable.
5. Don’t insult your subscriber’s intelligence. You won’t make any friends that way, nor will you keep them. I can decide if something is too advanced for me to use, so you don’t need to tell me to buy it and use it blindly because it’s too complex. Just ‘cos you don’t understand it doesn’t mean that I won’t.
6. Write to your ideal customer who is a friend. Singular. You might me writing to hundreds or even thousands of people with a single broadcast message, but they’re reading it individually. Make your pitch to your best friend not to a potential customer.
7. Put something personal in the opening paragraph. Make yourself human and real. Whatever you put in though, do make it upbeat. Telling the world that you’ve just woken up to dog poo and baby sick is not inspirational selling. Don’t tell people that you’re desperate for sales either, unless you’re somewhere close to the top of a sales leaderboard and can infect your subscribers with your enthusiasm.